Sunday, September 14, 2008

An end to the Strike?!

As many of you know, the Bellevue Education Association has been on Strike since Sept 2nd.  The district and the union had all summer to agree on a contract for the next three years, but they failed, so on Sept 2nd, instead of returning to the classroom, I hit the streets with a picket sign in my hand.  We've been on strike for two weeks now, walking about 10 miles a day, back and forth, back and forth on the sidewalks in front of Interlake High School.  I've gotten to know my fellow co-workers really well.  But there may be an end in sight.  The Union and the District have reached a tentative agreement, and we vote tonight at 5 pm.  If the majority vote to accept the contract, I will be back in the classroom tomorrow morning, and my school year can finally begin, I can get some normalcy back in my life, and I will finally be able to get rid of my stupid picket sign!  I'll keep you posted!

This is my friend Stacey and I at a rally outside the District offices.  

No comments: