Thursday, June 12, 2008

Music To Fill The Soul?!?!

So... I going through the piano looking for a song and I came across this lovely lullaby I just had to share with the family. I know, I know, I am a nerd, but I figured why not. And I love blogging now and I really don't have anything else to blog so here it goes, make sure you read the words...ALL OF THEM!


All the Pretty Little Horses

By Nicholas Palmer

Hush-a-bye, don't you cry, go to sleep-y little baby.

When you wake, you shall have all the pretty little horses.

Blacks and bays, dapples and grays, coach and six little horses.

Hush-a-bye, don't you cry, go to sleep-y little baby.

Way down yonder in the meadow, lies a poor little lamb-ie.

Birds and flies pink-in' out its eyes, Poor little thing's a cry-in' "Mammy!"

Hush-a-bye, don't you cry, go to sleepy little baby.

When you wake, you shall have all the pretty little horses.

Now, there's one to sing to the little ones.

Below, the song, this was written...
Many, many cradle songs have surprising verses that seem frightening, but perhaps these scary things are a way of making the child seem that much safer in her mother's arms. Some singers leave out these words. There is more than one way to sing this song, The lullaby is made up of four bar stanzas and two different melodies that can be mixed up and interchanged as you like. This song usually ends with either "Go to sleepy, little baby" or "All the pretty little horses." Sing as you need to get your little one off to sleep.


So now I ask... Which way would you choose?

We know what dad would choose...

He loved the above version!! Go Figure!

3 comments:

Cindi B. said...

is this a picture of dad actually singing the song? :o) I love what you did with the background colors. Thanks Misty.

Julie said...

Very interesting. I love the Kenny Loggins version. I guess I never really knew the words. I wonder what I was singing!?!?

Buhrmi8 said...

haha I guess he might not have sung it that way... Its nuts and no, dad is just posing!