Thursday, May 29, 2008

Folklife

Many years ago Misty was a clogger.  Annually she preformed at Seattle's Folklife Festival.  Now, if I am in town, it has become my tradition to go to this festival.  And although there are no longer any cloggers to grace the dance stage, this Memorial Day weekend was one not to be forgotten.  I convinced my friends Emily and Angela to come with me.  The Folklife Festival is an annual event that allows every musician and hippie to get together and perform all types of music, sell their goods, eat amazing food, and if they're lucky, they even get a little sun.  You get all types from serious musicians to people with signs offering free hugs and of course you can't forget those who wear Socks with their Birkenstocks.  My favorite act was a little girl, balancing on a giant rubber ball, and playing the violin while hulahooping.  This year was especially exciting for two reasons.  1.  A crazy man opened fire during the middle of the festival on Saturday and shot two people (both lived to tell the tale), and 2.  I found the SPOONMAN.  Everything in his tent was made from silverware.  More junk made out of junk than you could possible imagine.  But pretty creative too.  Here are a few examples of his beautiful creations!  I love this city!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds fun. Wish we lived closer so we could do things like that together. The girl on the ball is incredible!

Valarie said...

Oh, this makes me homesick! I LOVED the spoonman...sounds like he's branched out a bit from his performances 15 years ago! Thanks for this post!